Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate
- 250ml milk, whole or semi-skimmed
- 25g minimum 70% good quality dark chocolate flakes, plus extra for finishing
- 1 tsp dulce de leche or caramel
- 1/10 tsp of crushed sea salt (or a large pinch)
Optional to serve:
- 2 tbsp whipping cream
- Flaked dark chocolate
- If you are going to top your hot chocolate with cream & flaked chocolate, I suggest you prepare these first.
- For the best flavour, we recommend whisking a small amount of fresh whipping cream by hand to soft peaks than using canned cream, but you can use that sort of cream if you want.
- If you are flaking your own chocolate, run a knife along the back of the rest of the bar of chocolate in short sharp motions to create simple flakes. (Alternatively, you can buy our single origin chocolate flakes which are flaked to the perfect size!)
- Put your chocolate flakes and 2 tablespoons of the milk into a small heavy-based pan and warm gently to melt the chocolate into the milk.
- Use a small balloon whisk to stir this mixture into a smooth paste and once the chocolate has all melted, add the rest of the milk, caramel & salt.
- Keep whisking the mixture to help melt the caramel and the moment it starts to boil, take off the heat and whisk vigorously to make a foam.
- Pour your foaming hot chocolate into your mug, top with cream and chocolate flakes and enjoy!