Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate
- 250ml milk, whole or semi-skimmed
- 25g 70% good quality dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 tsp dulce de leche caramel
- 1/10 tsp of crushed sea salt (or a large pinch)
Optional to serve:
- 2 tbsp whipping cream
- Flaked dark chocolate
- If you are going to top your hot chocolate with cream & flaked chocolate, I suggest you prepare these first.
- Claire recommends whisking a small amount of fresh whipping cream by hand to soft peaks than using canned cream, but you can use that sort of cream if you want.
- To flake the chocolate, run a knife along the back of the rest of the bar of chocolate in short sharp motions to create simple flakes.
- Put the chopped chocolate and 2 tablespoons of the milk into a small heavy-based pan and warm gently to melt the chocolate into the milk.
- Use a small balloon whisk to stir this mixture into a smooth paste and once the chocolate has all melted, add the rest of the milk, caramel & salt.
- Keep whisking the mixture to help melt the caramel and the moment it starts to boil, take off the heat and whisk vigorously to make a foam.
- Pour your foaming hot chocolate into your mug, top with cream and chocolate flakes and enjoy!