Squidgy Pecan Brownies recipe to make at home on a snow day!
This is a recipe from Chococo co-founder Claire - perfect to make when the weather turns cold & you are stuck at home!
In Claire's words, "My brownies are richer and softer than some classic recipes but are in fact low in sugar and gluten-free. I love the toffee notes of light muscovado sugar and pecans, but you could quite easily replace the pecans with an equivalent weight of your favourite nuts or fruit and nut combinations; for example, dried cherries with walnuts or macadamias with chopped stem ginger would be scrumptious here, too. Use this recipe as your brownie base to play with."
You will need:
225 g dark chocolate, chopped
150 g unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
125 g light muscovado sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
50 g fine rice flour
1/4 teaspoon crushed sea salt
100 g pecans, roughly chopped
22-cm square brownie tin, base and sides lined with a single piece of foil baking parchment
makes 12-16 brownies
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) Gas 4.
2. Melt the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water. Once melted take the bowl off the heat and leave to cool for a few minutes.
3. Beat the eggs, sugar and vanilla extract together in a separate bowl with a handheld electric mixer, until increased in volume, pale and fluffy.
4. Fold the rice flour and salt into the egg and sugar mixture and then stir in the pecans, reserving a handful to scatter over the top. Add the melted chocolate and butter mixture and gently fold it all together.
5. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and tap it on the work surface to ensure it is level. Scatter the reserved pecans over the top.
6. Bake in the preheated oven for about 15-17 minutes, until risen at the edges but still squidgy in the middle.
7. Don't worry if it seems undercooked, as it will continue cooking after being taken out of the oven. Don't be tempted to overcook it or the brownies will be dry.
8. Leave to cool in the tin and then cut into squares of a size to suit you. The brownies will keep stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days.