Jemma's Cappuccino Cake with chocolate sprinkles
Minutes45 + cooling
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 3 heaped teaspoons of instant coffee, dissolved in a small amount of warm water
- 225g softened butter
- 225g caster sugar
- 225g self-raising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- For the icing:
- 50g unsalted softened butter
- 170g icing sugar
- 2 heaped teaspoons instant coffee dissolved in a very small amount of warm water
- 1 tsp milk, if needed
- 2 x 8inch round cake pans
- Preheat the oven to 180 C. Grease and baseline 2 x 8-inch sandwich tins with greaseproof paper and butter.
- Place the eggs in a large mixing bowl and stir in the coffee until dissolved
- Sift in the flour and baking powder, and add all of the remaining ingredients and mix until thoroughly blended.
- Divide evenly between the baking pans and level the tops with a back of a spoon or by tapping the base of the tin on a flat surface.
- Bake each sponge for 25 minutes until well risen and the tops of the cakes spring back when lightly pressed with your finger.
- Leave to cool in the tins for 10 minutes and then turn out onto a wire rack and leave to cool fully.
- Make your filling by blending together the butter, icing sugar and dissolved coffee mix until smooth. Add milk to thin out if necessary.
- When the cakes are fully cooled, use half of the buttercream to sandwich the two sponges together and half-ice the top of the cake.
- Finish by sprinkling over your 70% Madagascar flakes. Perfect to enjoy with a hot chocolate!