Grown-up's Cappuccino Loaf Cake
- 175g unsalted softened butter
- 2 tbsp instant coffee
- 40ml of coffee liqueur
- 100g caster sugar
- 75g light muscovado sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 175g self raising flour
- A pinch of good salt
For the icing:
- 150g mascarpone
- 5tbsp icing sugar
- 2tbsp coffee liqueur
- Ground instant coffee for sprinkling
- 1 loaf tin
- 1 loaf tin Baking parchment
- Preheat the oven to 170˚C, gas mark 3 and grease a loaf tin and line with baking parchment.
- Heat the instant coffee and coffee liqueur in a microwave (or small pan) until warm (about 30 seconds will do), stir to dissolve the coffee and cool.
- In a separate bowl, mix your mascarpone for the frosting with the additional coffee liqueur and chill until needed.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter with all of the sugars until pale and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time, followed by the vanilla and your instant coffee and liqueur blend.
- Fold in the flour and salt until you have a smooth batter. Scrape into the tin and tap on a kitchen surface for an even finish.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the centre, comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack; cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, make the frosting. Sift the icing sugar over the chilled coffee mascarpone and whisk together until silky; chill again until needed.
- Spread the frosting over the cooled cake and dust lightly with finely ground instant coffee (or chocolate-covered coffee beans!) for decoration.