Chococo's Datey Oaty Slices
Date paste ingredients:
- 400g dates – roughly chopped (block dates work just as well for this recipe as loose dried dates)
- 250g water
- Zest of ½ a lemon
- 350g porridge oats
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt - crushed
- 200g unsalted butter or vegan block (if you want to make it vegan)
- 80g soft light brown sugar
- 3 level tablespoons golden syrup (top tip - do NOT add too much syrup as it will make the flapjack too sticky & sweet!
- 23cm square brownie tin lined with baking parchment
- Preheat oven to 170 C
- Mix the baking powder & sea salt in with the oats & set aside
- Put the dates, water & lemon zest into a pan & gently heat for a few minutes so that the dates absorb the water
- Take off the heat & use a potato masher or blender to mash the dates mixture into a smooth paste
- Put the date paste into a flat dish to help it cool quickly
- In the same pan, melt the butter (or vegan block), sugar & syrup until melted thoroughly
- Pour the oats mixture into the pan of melted butter mixture & mix thoroughly to coat all the oats
- Spread half the oat mixture into the bottom of the tin
- Layer the date paste on top – be careful, it’s sticky! Use the back of a metal spoon to help flatten it!
- Then finish off with the remaining oat mixture & pat down gently (don’t flatten it too hard but aim for a flat top which covers the date mix)
- Bake for c30 minutes until golden brown on top
- Leave to cool completely before cutting into pieces and enjoy with a hot chocolate or a coffee!