Minutes45 + cooling
- 200g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt, crushed
- 200g light soft brown sugar
- 175g unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 140g Gold chocolate buttons (or white chocolate buttons if you cant get Gold)
- 50g dark chocolate, chopped (60-&70% cocoa solids)
- 25g cocoa nibs (optional), or you could use chopped nuts here eg: pecans, walnuts
- x1 22cm square brownie tin lined with greaseproof paper
- Preheat the oven to 180 C
- Melt the butter in a bowl in the microwave (in short bursts to prevent any risk of burning) or in a pan on a gentle heat and set aside to cool
- Sieve the flour into a bowl, add the baking powder & salt and stir in
- Put c80% of your chocolate buttons & nibs into the flour bowl & stir in.
- In another large bowl, whisk the cooled melted butter & sugar together by hand using a balloon whisk
- Add the beaten eggs and vanilla extract and whisk by hand until all blended & slightly lighter in colour
- Add the flour and gently fold it into the wet ingredients with a wooden spoon or spatula - do not beat or work this too much - gently does it!
- Pour the batter into your prepared tin Sprinkle the remaining chocolate buttons & nibs on top of the batter & gently press them in using the back of a metal spoon
- Bake for 25 minutes until golden brown. A skewer should come out mostly clean but, if you prefer it firmer and more cake-like in terms of its consistency, cook it for a few minutes longer.
- Leave to cool before cutting into slices - will make 12-16 slices depending on how hungry your hordes are...